Signs That You May Need a Dental Crown
Signs You May Need a Crown
Dental crowns are used to treat a wide array of dental issues that can arise. The best way to tell if you need a crown is to consult with a dentist in our Edina, MN office who can evaluate your unique situation and recommend the best treatment options.
That being said, here are some signs that you may need a dental crown:
- You’re getting a root canal: Root canal treatments require your dentist to remove the decay or infection from the inside of your tooth. Because a root canal affects your tooth deeply, the integrity of your tooth is usually diminished after the treatment. To regain strength in the tooth and render it useful again, you’ll need to get a crown.
- Large fillings: If your tooth requires a large filling that involves half of the tooth, it’s likely that your dentist will recommend adding a crown. This will help protect the tooth and ensure that it doesn’t break over time.
- Your teeth are cracked or worn down: If you have a habit of grinding your teeth, or if your teeth have been cracked and broken without treatment, a crown may be the best option to restore the tooth both aesthetically and for strength.
- Aesthetic issues: If you want to improve the appearance of a tooth in your mouth, crowns are often the treatment of choice. This could happen because of extreme discoloration, or simply an oddly sized or shaped tooth.
- Dental Implants: Dental crowns are also used in conjunction with a dental implant. The dental implant replaces the root of the tooth, or the part that is not visible, and then a crown is attached so that the tooth can be used just like a natural tooth.
Dental Crowns Edina
The process for your dental crown will depend on the reason you need a crown. For example, if you are getting a dental implant, you will first have the implant fitted, and then wait for the implant to heal. At that point, a crown can be attached and used like a normal tooth. If you are getting a root canal, you will have the treatment completed, which includes removal of decay and any infection, and then you will be fitted for a crown.
If you think you need a dental crown, contact 50th and France Dental Care today to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists. We can help you evaluate what the best form of treatment for your unique needs includes. Call us with any questions, and we’ll be happy to help you get started!