According to the American Dental Association, by the year 2030, the number of adults in the United States who are 65 years old or older will reach 72 million. This is a whopping 20 percent of the total U.S. population and is double the number of older adults in the year 2000. If you are an older adult, there are special considerations for you when it comes to dental care. Let’s take a look at what it can mean to treat elderly patients when it comes to family dentistry in Edina.
Considerations When Treating Older Dental Patients
When it comes to treating older dental patients, practices are aware of the following considerations:
- Although the elderly are in better health overall than they have been in the past, it is still important to remember that baseline health in the elderly can be complicated by conditions such as hypertension and diabetes. There are also physiologic changes that are associated with aging that should be considered when addressing their oral health.
- Many older adults use several prescription and/or over-the-counter medications regularly. This increases the risk for medication errors, drug interactions, and adverse drug reactions. It’s important that elderly patients disclose to their dentist if they are taking any kind of medications.
- There exists the potential for physical, sensory, and cognitive impairments with the aging patient. Some of these problems might interfere with the patient’s ability to take care of their oral health. Ongoing education and communication might be a challenge for patients who are impaired in any way.
- There are dental conditions that elderly patients are at a higher risk for, including dry mouth (xerostomia), cavities, and gum disease.
- Older patients might be more sensitive to drugs that are used in dentistry, such as analgesics and local anesthetics.
Call Our Edina Dental Practice
From our youngest patients to those who are a bit “longer in the tooth,” it is important that regular examinations and checkups be part of your oral healthcare routine. When it comes to family dentistry in Edina, give us a call at 50th and France Dental Care! Regardless of your age, we’ll make sure you have a healthy smile for life.